Chances are that you using some instant messaging programs, but did you know that you can get viruses through instant messengers just like you can through email? Here are some the tips that you can use to avoid getting viruses through your instant messaging programs.
- · Take care with files and links – Don’t click download, accept, or open a file or click on a link from a person that is a stranger. If the file or the link is from a person you know, don’t open it or click on it unless you expected the file. Get in contact with your sender through a phone call, email, or another method to make sure that it’s safe to open.
- · Update the software in Windows – Go to Microsoft Update so that you can scan the computer as well as install the updates that are high priority and which are being offered. If you automatically update your computer, they’re delivered to you as they’re released but you still have to install them.
- · Ensure that IM software is the latests Version – When you’re using the latest version of the software, it’s going to protect you better against spyware and viruses.
- · Use antivirus/anti-spyware software – The best thing that you can do to protect your computer is to use anti-spyware and antivirus software and make sure that it’s updated.
- · Don’t run computer as an admin – It’s a good idea to run the computer as just a user instead of administrator. This is an option that is offered in Vista and 7. You can be a regular user and still have the benefits of administrators. This is going to help avoid unwanted software such as viruses.
These are five things that you can do when you are on instant messengers to help avoid viruses and other things that can come through the messengers. Do them and you’ll be protected.